Saturday, December 5, 2009

Karōshi Suicide Salaryman

Yes, you read that correctly. Karōshi literally means "Death from overwork" in Japanese (A growing problem in Japan, but some companies are taking measures to prevent/remedy this). The game is...kind of like that...well...

This game is the only game I know of where the entire purpose is to die. I don't mean this in the same sense as Demon's Souls, which is meant to prove how much you suck at gaming. I mean it's 50 levels of you dying. Some of the levels take a little thought, however, as you don't necessarily have to use the tools they give you.

If you are easily offended by obviously fake blood or the concept of suicide, I do NOT recommend this game. However, it is quite a good game. If I can get the Spoiler tags to work (I've forgotten how to use them, as they're custom and I used them once a long time ago), I will put a quick strategy guide, though I consider that cheating...and why should you cheat? But don't worry, it will be written clearly.

Click the link to play the game: Karōshi Suicide Salaryman
To save you the time of scrolling down the page to them, the controls are the arrow keys and the space bar. A few have other controls, like the one with the kitty.



EDIT: A reply that may or may not be spam was completely right that the act of suicide is a major problem everywhere in the world (though this specifically relates to Japan). Therefore, I'd like to amend this post with some information for those considering suicide:

Inochi no Denwa (Lifeline Telephone Service)
Japan: 0120-738-556
Tokyo: 3264-4343

USA National Suicide and Crisis Hotline: 1-800-448-3000

4 comments:

  1. Suicide is not a concept, it is a terrible reality in Japan. Over 30,000 people a year die in Japan from suicide/karaoshi-suicide. As many people have in Japan have very high reading skills in English and search the internet for help, here are suicide hotline numbers for people who are depressed or suicidal in Japan:

    Inochi no Denwa (Lifeline Telephone Service)
    Japan: 0120-738-556
    Tokyo: 3264-4343

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally, I'd consider that post as spam, but it is relevant and completely true (I actually found the game doing research on the subject, so the game was merely an accidental find).

    In other words, since that reply was useful, I'll leave it. In fact, I'll help by adding one for people in the US:

    USA National Suicide and Crisis Hotline: 1-800-448-3000

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 Minutes To Kill Yourself

    Google the above.

    There is also a sequel to 5 Minutes To Kill Yourself.

    AND I've played this before, got to a rather high level before it either bored me.... or I couldn't die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH and there is a second Karoshi Suicide Salaryman as well. :)

    ReplyDelete